War Memorials

The War Memorials on the back wall of the Sanctuary come from the four churches which eventually, through various unifications, became Bennochy Church.

These unions were, in summary:

  • Bennochy Church: formed in 2010 as a union between St Andrew’s and St John’s Churches.

  • St Andrew’s Church: formed in 1972 as a union between Dunnikier Church and Victoria Road Church.

  • Dunnikier Church: had five years earlier been involved in a merger with Abbotsrood Church.

Bennochy Church War Memorials
Bennochy Church War Memorials

The memorials from left to right of the above photo are as follows:

St John’s Church WW2 Memorial
St John’s Church WW2 Memorial

St John’s Church - plaque commemorating the erection of a transept in the original church building in memory of those who fell in the Second World War.




Victoria Road Church WW1 and WW2 Memorials
Victoria Road Church WW1 and WW2 Memorials

Victoria Road Church. The upper memorial relates to the First World War (“The Great War”) and the lower memorial relates to the Second World War. This building housed the St Andrew’s congregation from 1972 until 2010.




St John’s Church WW1 Memorial
St John’s Church WW1 Memorial

St John’s Church memorial which relates to the First World War. This memorial was originally made in marble, but this was destroyed along with the sanctuary in the fire in 1975. This new brass memorial was commissioned by the Kirk Session and Board of Bennochy Church.




Dunnikier Church WW1 Memorial
Dunnikier Church WW1 Memorial

Dunnikier Church – First World War (”European War”) memorial. The Dunnikier Church building, on the corner of Dunnikier Road and Victoria Road, was sold to the Catholic Church and is now St Marie’s Roman Catholic Church.




Abbotshall United Free Church WW1 Memorial
Abbotshall United Free Church WW1 Memorial

Abbotshall United Free Church, which became Abbotsrood Church of Scotland in 1929. This memorial relates to the First World War, when this church was located at 32 High Street, having been there since 1875. The congregation moved to Hayfield Road in 1949 and then merged with Dunnikier Church in 1967, bringing this memorial with them. The High Street building was later converted for commercial use, and much of the fabric is still visible above the shops today (see picture below).

Abbotsrood Church on the High Street
Abbotsrood Church on the High Street